"I take charge and guide groups to meaningful goals, and ensure good relations among group members."
Become Aware Of Your Strength
What is Leadership?
Leadership can take on many forms. As a character strength, leadership refers to the tendency to organize and encourage a group to get things done, while maintaining good relations within the group. Like teamwork, leadership involves being committed to the goals of the group, but how that commitment manifests itself is very different. Leadership involves setting goals and accomplishing them, enlisting effective help, building coalitions, and smoothing ruffled feathers. Effective leaders are able to provide a positive vision or message that inspires dedicated followers who feel empowered and perhaps even inspired. Leadership is a social phenomenon that can be distinguished into two areas:
- Practice- defining, establishing, identifying or translating direction
- Personal quality- the motivation and capacity to seek out, attain and carry out leader roles There are two types of leaders:
- Transactional leaders- this type of leader clarifies responsibilities, expectations, and the tasks to be accomplished
- Transformational leaders- this leader motivates their followers to perform at an extremely high level, fostering a climate of trust and commitment to the organization and its goals
Explore Your Strength
Reflect on how you’ve used leadership in the past, in everyday life and during special or critical times.
Apply Your Strength
How can you make the most of leadership in your everyday life? In the moments that matter most? Here are some ideas.
- When two people are in an argument, mediate by inviting others to share their thoughts and emphasizing problem solving.
- Lead an activity, assignment or project and actively solicit opinions from group members.
- Read a biography and/or watch film of your favorite leader and evaluate how he/she inspires you in practical ways.